Sunday, November 16, 2008

Off to Bootcamp.....

Well, it was a rough 2+ months to get me on my way to bootcamp. My girlfriend then drove me to Adam's Field...that Little Rock International Airport now. I'd never been on a jet before and only once in a small plane. After good byes, it up the stair on a DC9 to Dallas Love field. There were other's there going to San Diego too. We went drinking at a bar in the terminal. I wasn't very experineced at air travel, so I ended up missing my next plane. No problem, they just put us on another plane to San Diego. Well, finally we get there and late at that. This was the few lucky things to happen to me for month. Everyone who got there earlier were standing at attention on the curb and had been for hours. We were the last ones and it was immediately off to the buss. There were these guys in uniforms and they were yelling like crazy at us. My new name was maggot. We were all maggots or ladies. It's a 10 min ride to MCRD San Diego. That Marine Corps Recruit Depot. Through the gates and then off the buss. They have these feet prints painted on the asphalt. We all had to find a place and stand. Lots more yelling. We were in this thing called receiving and there are lots of things to do....the highlights...get all your personal stuff except a watch prepaired to mail back home. Then in a line to get some new clothes. Tres Chic....green utility pants, a sweat shirt, a green cap white boxer shorts, t-shirt and tennis shoes...they were the converse allstar type. Yeeeeehaaaaaaa. And man that hair cut is fun. These civilian barbers tell you to put your finger on a mole in your hair if you have one and then it's buzz buzz buzz gone.......lots of yelling and running here and running there. We learned our first new words, three of them...."Sir, yes Sir." Receiving takes about 20 or more hours. I'm tired thinking about it, so I'll just write more later....Semper Fi.

2 comments:

Damie said...

This is getting exciting!

Bookie-Roo said...

at least you weren't called lady!